After Party Monday: Focusing on Recognition and Rewards in the Workplace
Well-Being Week After Party (May 17-21).
Monday’s focus: Recognition and Rewards (Perceived efforts/contributions are fairly balanced with employer-provided rewards such as compensation, esteem and social rewards, job security, career opportunities.)
Employee motivation matters just as much in law firms as it does in any other industry. It’s imperative that law firms attract and retain talented staff who are engaged in fulfilling the values of the office.
Employee appreciation and recognition externally motivate and bolster internal motivation for employees, from a simple thank you to a huge bonus.
Recognition can go a long way to improving office morale.
- Give staff members the authority they need to solve problems.
- Keep an open door policy and really listen to your staff.
- Recognize your staff for a job well done.
- Provide opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- Be supportive of your staff.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a perk! Read more.
Suggested activities for Rewards and Recognition Monday:
There are two types of law firm employee motivation.
- Intrinsic motivation. Intrinsic motivation is motivation that comes from within the individual staff member. This is why we explained that there is no one perfect motivation tactic that works for every law firm employee. This highlights the importance of getting to know your staff members. It’s how you learn what really motivates them. Consider yourself for a moment. Take away the external motivation factors, such as your paycheck or the feeling you get when you’re victorious in advocating on behalf of your client. What motivates you to get up each and every day and do what you do? Is it a zest for justice? Is it your love of entrepreneurship?
- External motivation. These are factors that come from outside of an individual that encourage them to make great strides. While money is certainly an external motivator for many, it doesn’t motivate everyone. Again, though, this points out the importance of getting to know your staff.
Both intrinsic and external motivators can change over time. You will need to adjust your strategies as your staff members grow as people and even as your law firm grows and adds new staff members.
Additional Resource: https://www.upcounsel.com/employee-recognition